Please or Register to create posts and topics.

What are some of the greatest upsets in South Dakota wrestling that you can remember?

I'd like to compile a list so if you can think of some good ones drop them in the comments. Also if anyone has like a PDF of pervious state tournaments let me know so I can get the years and upsets right.

A have a few huge upsets I can remember off the top of my head were.

BJ Jones losing at the state tournament in Rapid City around 96'ish. I think he had the longest win streak in S.Dakota class "A" history at the time. He had one two straight titles and was going for #3. If I recall it was a BVH kid and he didn't get caught he just got outdone.

Frosty Paris was another big upset. I think he was number #1 in the dynamic dozen and pinning everyone. He got to the state tournament his senior year;  got caught his first match, then a kid from Mitchel knocked him out of the tournament on the back half of the bracket.

Tyson Reiner from Mitchel. He was going for his third title; around 05'ish. And maybe this isn't as big an upset because it was in the State Championship match. But anyhow he had just beat Andy Johnson from Yankton a few weeks ago by comfortable margin. I believe it was tied up or Reiner was down by a point. With seconds left Johnson got a takedown and Reiner knew it was over, he just laid there and it went down as pin.

Throw some names at me.

Orson Brule Middletent, Ben Johnson and All Knowing 2.0 have reacted to this post.
Orson Brule MiddletentBen JohnsonAll Knowing 2.0

1994 Stanley Co. Invite Jared Richter Wessington Springs vs Hannon Hisek Bon Homme 119lb final went to OT Richter won on a takedown and nf points. Hisek defeated Richter at regions and state. Both outstanding wrestlers

ac3217, BUCK and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
ac3217BUCKBen JohnsonAll Knowing 2.0

The BJ Jones upset was crazy, I believe that they had wrestled 3 or 4 times going into the semifinals of state and every match just kept getting a little closer every time, the whole arena was stunned because like you said the Brandon Valley kid just out wrestled him

All Knowing 2.0 has reacted to this post.
All Knowing 2.0

Why are we so obsessed with the past? Little off to me we can find records and remember upsets from 20 years ago, but we have very little updated records for the last 5 years. One of the schools I am affiliated with doesn’t know the career record of a state champ from the past 5 years, but we sure know all the stats from the 2xer from 2004…

Always cool to look back at this stuff, don’t get me wrong. Just a recent observation

SdOrange and All Knowing 2.0 have reacted to this post.
SdOrangeAll Knowing 2.0

When Bobby Waldner (Redfield) won a title as a freshman over Lyle of Beresford, I think.

Nick Casperson getting headlocked in the first round of the 2016 State Tournament after winning the rumble earlier that year.

Quote from WrestleMma185 on December 17, 2021, 7:57 am

Why are we so obsessed with the past? Little off to me we can find records and remember upsets from 20 years ago, but we have very little updated records for the last 5 years. One of the schools I am affiliated with doesn’t know the career record of a state champ from the past 5 years, but we sure know all the stats from the 2xer from 2004…

Always cool to look back at this stuff, don’t get me wrong. Just a recent observation

Please elaborate. Are you blaming people for remembering memorable matches or your school for not having updated records? I think one of the best parts of being apart of the SD wrestling community is to talk about all those memories that brings people together, whether on the winning or losing side.

3pointnearfall and All Knowing 2.0 have reacted to this post.
3pointnearfallAll Knowing 2.0

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar