Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Under 7% BF (New Rule?)

This season is the 3rd that I haven't coached in ND.   I'm helping the new coach with TrackWrestling and the assessments.  One of the kids came back INELIGIBLE due to under 7% body fat.    It must be a "new" rule where a kid is deemed UNHEALTY if under 7% B.F.??   W.T.F.  !!!!!   This kid is a 100lb 7th grader who is a real active kid and a pretty good little wrestler.  Now he has to have a Dr. sign a statement saying he is healthy?!

Sorry, just have to rant.  The coach let me read the e-mail from the NDHSAA because I couldn't believe it.  I'd like to have a B.F test done on ALL athletes!!  I'd like to see if any cross county or basket ball player are under 7%.

It's not new. It's been this way for quite a few years. It's a pain in the butt. A kid goes in, gets a sports physical that says they're fine to compete. Takes a fat test, then basically has to go back in for a second physical stating the same thing that the first one did.

I must not have had any  fall under 7%....I had a few that were close.

Here's the  letter copied and pasted.

Physical Referral Form

For Wrestlers Who Test Below Minimum Body Fat Guidelines

In compliance with the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS), the North Dakota High School Activities Association (NDHSAA) has developed a weight-control program, which discourages excessive weight reduction (of wide variations in weight), because this may be harmful to the competitor.

The weight control program requires hydration testing with a specific gravity not greater than 1.025, which immediately precedes the body fat assessment. The minimum weight class will be determined by a body fat assessment. Any wrestler’s assessment that is below seven (7) percent for males and twelve (12) percent for females shall have a physician’s release to participate. This release shall not allow a wrestler to participate at a weight class below that for which the initial assessment allows.

Physician’s Release Form for Participation

is a member of the wresting team at       High School Name

Due to the number of health issues surrounding a safe weight loss in wrestling, the NFHS and NDHSAA have developed guidelines to help ensure the safety of athletes. The NFHS and NDHSAA require a wrestler with body fat percentage below 7% (Male) and 12% (Female) to be evaluated by a medical professional*. The athlete being referred to you tested at      %. Indicate below if you feel it is safe for the athlete to participate at his/her tested body fat %.

If you have any questions, please contact the Athletic Trainer/Assessor listed below.

How STUPID the kid is just naturally skinny and not dieting.  They should do this to ALL athletes then, why just pick on skinny wrestlers?

/

The tough part about having rules like this is (just like you said) -every kid is different. There are plenty of kids that are just skinny and 7% bf is not a big deal. I know some states do hydration tests instead of bodyfat to qualify what is a safe weight to cut to (like 5lbs vs 18), I'm aware that Utah, AZ, and California do this test near the beginning of the season and if you want to drop below that weight you have to get a dr note.

I'm all for keeping the kids safe and healthy, this sport still needs to be fun and its not fun if you're trying to cut huge weight all season, but I don't think it can be a one size fits all type of deal

ND does body fat and hydration.

And yes, what armbar said-- is a good point.  Why are just wrestlers subject to this?

There is no rational argument (without a valid counter-point) that can be made.

7% is 7%.  If its "unhealthy" in wrestling, it's unhealthy in other sports.

Our 7th grader went to Dr. and the Dr. filled the form out wrong.  Not good enough for NDHSAA anyway.   Why on earth are we making it this hard for a kid to wrestle just because they are FIT?!  I guess he was 8% on a blm scale.  Ridiculous!   This kid hasn't missed a meal in his life!

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar