Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to qualify for South Dakota Girls state tournament?

Hello, I'm looking for criteria on how to qualify for girls state wrestling tournament. Is there a link to a written section we could review? I've been told track wrestling will pick based on record, but I was hoping someone could clarify how situations are wieghted. A few questions here,

1) what's the minimum amount of matches needed?

2) Is winning percentage or who you wrestle weighted more? (Hypothetical... You Wrestle an unranked girl 5 times and win with a 5-0 record vs another girl who wrestles a ranked guy 5 times and finish with 2-3 record, who will track choose?)

Thanks in advance!

Wrestler and Curt Ottoson have reacted to this post.
WrestlerCurt Ottoson

http://That’s a great question. I would email all these reps and ask the question.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
Old Cat has reacted to this post.
Old Cat
Quote from Chad Guthmiller on January 30, 2022, 3:25 pm

Hello, I'm looking for criteria on how to qualify for girls state wrestling tournament. Is there a link to a written section we could review? I've been told track wrestling will pick based on record, but I was hoping someone could clarify how situations are wieghted. A few questions here,

1) what's the minimum amount of matches needed?

2) Is winning percentage or who you wrestle weighted more? (Hypothetical... You Wrestle an unranked girl 5 times and win with a 5-0 record vs another girl who wrestles a ranked guy 5 times and finish with 2-3 record, who will track choose?)

Thanks in advance!

I could be wrong, but I think they are using the same criteria as the boys tournament, but picking the top 16 wrestlers.  So the criteria, as I understand it, should be:

Head to Head
Common Opponent
Returning State Place Winner
If a tie on state place, nearest weight will be given criteria
Winning Percentage
Coin Flip

This is what I was able to gain from the handbook.  I do think there is a big gap between returning state placer and winning percentage.  I would like to see something like a significant win category, but I don't know how that would really work.  Basically I think there should be something else between placer and winning percentage, but I don't know what it should be.

Hawk96, Wrestler and Old Cat have reacted to this post.
Hawk96WrestlerOld Cat

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms below to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Skip to toolbar